After School Programs for 21st Century Students - an Online Course
Online Course Materials - accessible by password to registered participants in the online course.
Click here to Register and Pay for Online Courses. You may also register via phone or email.
Workshop Goal - to develop a comprehensive framework for an After School Program which integrates learning experiences designed for the development of:
- 21st century skills
- Critical Attributes of 21st Century Education
- Multiple Literacies for the 21st Century
Methodology – this is a self-paced, independent course. We will provide up to 3 hours of support via email, phone or Skype. If additional support is desired, we offer virtual consulting at a rate of $250/hour for 1-5 people.
Materials - participants will receive a PPT, which is the main course, containing links to all other materials. The PPT will guide the participant through the course, including indication of and directions for Assignments and Activities.
Time Commitment – this course is adapted to, and a replacement for, the workshop of the same title which is offered occasionally as a Regional Workshop and as an On-Site Workshop, the duration of which is 2 days. Obviously, in order to fully develop your After School Program the team will spend much more time conducting research, surveys, developing program curriculum, ordering materials, and so on.
The materials for the course provide you with clear guidelines for accomplishing all of the above.
Course Outcomes: This course will guide you through: (all materials are provided)
· Organizing a Planning Team
· Development of Mission and Vision Statements for your After School Program.
· Setting up your Collaborative Planning Tools
· Getting Focused, Getting Creative – an initial activity for determining the direction of your program. This is a very important, and intensive, team activity.
· Getting Inspired – your team will now analyze several examples of exemplary after school programs around the country.
· Getting Organized – Develop your Personalized Planning Guide
· Create your Timeline or Calendar
· Review the Research on After School Programs
· Program Possibilities – here we offer some “thought sparkers”, ideas for you to consider adapting for your program. This section includes links to resources, current programs and videos.
· The Learning Environment
· Curriculum – integrating the Disciplines and Standards
· Technology and Multimedia
· 21st Century Skills
· Critical Attributes of 21st Century Education
· Multiple Literacies for the 21st Century
· Strategies for Student Learning at High Levels, developing student habits of learning independently and interdependently
· Authentic, Performance-Based Assessment
· Web 2.0 Tools
· Snacks and Meals – links to excellent resources on this topic.
· Community Connections
· Online Resources – including all of the above plus Funding Resources
Final Product – Your After School Program Plan
Now that you have learned all about the components of After School Programs, examined many possibilities, analyzed real programs, etc., it is time to develop your final Plan. Utilizing what you have learned, all the checklists and other planning tools you have developed, you will now create a Final Plan for your After School Program.
Next step – developing the curriculum, setting up the site, obtaining personnel and materials (from furniture and technologies to art materials).
It will be an intensive undertaking, but will provide incalculable value and benefits to the students and the community.